Sales and Marketing Interview Questions and Answers

Sales and Marketing Interview Questions and Answers

Sales and marketing professional with tablet in hand

I have included the most tricky one's along with possible answers which will help you to excel in your interviews. I have used them during my post graduation, which helped me answer all the tricky interview questions! As per my opinion, It's relatively easier for an experienced person to answer the interview questions as compared to a fresher, so I have included sample answers to questions that freshers can use in their interview.


Before moving to interview questions and answers, I recommend you to follow this framework which will help you to answer the toughest questions even if you don't have answers ready with you

Framework for answering interview questions:


Few years ago, many management students used to take reference from Peter Drucker's management technique, thus providing enough techniques and jargon to proove that he/she knows all the management fundas. However, recruiters are very well aware of standard answers to all the interview questions. So, in order to still be relevant in the competitive market, this framework will help you answering the interview questions and remain UNIQUE!




This photo contains a framework for answering interview questions

CREATE -  

Let's admit, most of the people won't hire people who are smarter than them! Recruiters are not only looking for great leaders but they are looking for employee who can create a positive energy in the workplace as well as promote teamwork. So while answering interview questions you not only need to show you leadership skills but also the above mentioned things need to be demonstrated too. You will have to show that can navigate the corporate culture and solve problems across multiple disciplines.

REAL LIFE EXAMPLES - 

Now, this something really interesting. As you know, "DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STORY TELLING" . In case interviewer asks you to proove how you overcome this challenge, then you can follow this SAR model while answering. Let's have a look at this model:

This photo tells about SAR model helpful for answering interview question

PERFECT FIT - 

Be somewhat detailed in storytelling and be articulate. It shows you have credibility and aren’t making things up as you go along. Be passionate and excited. Demonstrate that you want to be there and are bright, self-starting, and fun to be with.

Excuse me, for this boring philosophical lecture (framework,model etc), but you never know what may come in handy at the time of interview !

Here are the top 10 sales and marketing interview questions and their answers:

Q.1 Today we live in an era of constant change. How do you view change and deal effectively with it?

Answer -  “I think change is synonymous with opportunity. Though we all have our comfort zones, I know that change is necessary to maintain a competitive edge and improve our lifestyles. I am highly adaptable to change, learn quickly, and embrace new ideas with enthusiasm and vigor.”

Q.2 Will you be able to deal with sales pressure ?

Answer - ‘I’ve always been good with stress. Even during exams at school/college, I was the one who stayed calm. I believe it’s because I’m good at planning and organizing. I [describe some of the things you do to organize your work and schedules]. It means the practical things rarely get on top of me or drag me down, which leaves me free to put all my energy into [the most important part of the job, face-to-face selling, for example]. I think I need a degree of tension to focus me anyway. I like to feel that tingle [or however you would describe it] when I [go in to see a client, meet a customer, pick up the phone, etc]. Life would be flat without that.’

Q.3 Have you ever missed your sales target ?

Answer - ‘I successfully meet all my current targets, but I remember, when I first started with [an early employer], I didn’t have the experience I have now and I came close to missing my targets once or twice. I had to [describe the extra efforts you had to go through to meet them]. I learnt as a result to [include something you learnt – how to plan your time, how to focus your efforts, not to procrastinate].’

Q.4  How do you find out what your competitors are doing ?

Answer - Your answer would ideally include as many as possible of the following:
  1. professional, trade and business magazines;
  2. online professional and business groups;
  3. business contacts;
  4. professional associations;
  5. trade fairs, shows and exhibitions;
  6. suppliers and clients;
  7. seminars.

Q.5  What can you do for us that one else can ?

Answer - ‘I don’t know about no one else being able to do it, but I believe I am [outline your key strengths] and have [insert your key abilities]. To date, I have [mention your biggest achievements]. I believe I can bring to this job [key requirements mentioned in the job description]. I have [relevant personal qualities and/or experience]. In addition, I understand [a relevant factor of the job], which I believe would allow me to [make a significant contribution to the company].’

Q.6 Why should I hire you ?

Answer - As a sales person, your core answer needs to be something like ‘Because I can
increase your profits’ or ‘Because I can make you money.’ Think of yourself as a product and pinpoint your key features and benefits. After all, if you can’t sell yourself, how will you sell anything else?

Q.7 What do you think the key trends in the industry are ?

Answer - You need to be up to date with what’s happening in your field to be able to answer
this one. Sales can be very sensitive to market changes. Keep an eye on the trade journals, marketing magazines, etc  as well as the newspapers.Outline the key trends as you see them, keeping your views optimistic and focusing on the opportunities these developments offer.

Q.8 What are your greatest achievements ?

Answer - The interviewer is inviting you to make your sales pitch; don’t let them down. Pick
three or four of your biggest successes to go into in detail, backed up by a couple of others that show your range. Sales jobs are result orientated, so keep your achievements sales based and emphasize the benefits to the company, quoting actual figures wherever possible.

Q.9 How can you handle rejection in sales ?

Answer - ‘Rejection is simply part of the job; some people simply don’t want what I’m selling, I don’t take it personally. If anything, it makes me more determined. For example, [give an anecdote where you were rejected and it made you more determined to succeed. If possible, describe how it made a positive difference – made you look for a new market or new clients, change your approach, or maybe even how you tried a new approach with the same client and were successful].’

Q. 10 What is your most significant personal success?

Answer - “My most significant personal success occurred eight years ago when I quit smoking cigarettes." [ include your own achievements]

Post a Comment

0 Comments